We believe that it is unacceptable to waste energy.
Our mission is to produce energy storage systems for dynamic loads to deliver significant energy & emission savings for a wide range of industries.
PUNCH Flybrid is based at the Silverstone Circuit and is part of the PUNCH-Group, a family owned Tier 1 manufacturer and integrator of full driveline solutions.
At PUNCH Flybrid we are working on exciting and innovative projects that typically include truly novel engineering content. This creates opportunities for our staff to stamp their mark on the final product whilst developing and extending their skill set.
We work with small as well as very large organisations, offering a dynamic and interesting work environment.
This role is based at our modern facility in Silverstone, Northamptonshire, UK, but may require travel both within the UK as well as internationally.
About the role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager the Principal Energy Storage Engineer is responsible for design, specification, performance and system safety across our energy storage products. The role provides technical leadership on: batteries, battery enclosure & auxiliary equipment and battery control systems. There is potential for this role to include team and functional leadership.
- Develop reliable and cost-effective customer-focused BESS (battery energy storage system) designs through understanding of internal and external customer technical requirements to ensure all solutions maximize value
- Take ownership of Energy storage system sizing and system engineering design of product to determine battery sizing, battery enclosure, PCS selection and configuration
- Create hardware specifications based on internal and supplier opportunities
- Lead selection of electrical hardware executing feasibility and prototypes as required
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers on correct and safe installation of batteries
- Create system architecture options providing objective and subjective comments
- Maintain risks and mitigation for BESS system
- Prepare the control system specification to define control system requirements drafting energy storage technical specifications
- Establish and maintain the engineering design criteria, applicable standards and specifications for BESS projects by creating energy storage guidelines for the standardisation of design approaches across the company
- Work directly with modelling teams to facilitate the modelling simulations of energy storage and system optimisations
- Input into the development and improvement of modelling tools related to energy storage and hybrid energy storage products
- Evaluate different energy storage technologies and configurations based on technical and financial parameters
- Input into energy storage testing methods and performance evaluation mechanisms
- Participate in energy storage commissioning and testing activities, including support during testing, test outcome validation and reporting of test results
- Develop and submit creative ideas to improve PUNCH Flybrid value proposition. This could be battery only or battery + Flywheel solutions
Qualifications & Experience
- A good degree in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Significant technical knowledge, post qualification, in battery energy storage system (BESS) sub-systems, especially battery modules, containerised and rack systems, HV and MV switchgear, battery controllers, cooling
- Relevant experience with energy storage technology, Li-ion batteries, systems engineering and integration in renewables business
- Good user knowledge in electrical AutoCAD 2D and SolidWorks/AutoCAD 3D, MATLAB and equivalent coding tools (e.g. Python)
- Experience with the application of relevant IEC standards, NFPA 855, UL9540A, or any other industry standards in BESS project design
- Experienced in undertaking feasibility and design reviews
- Opportunity to lead architecture and design decisions
- A Competitive Salary
- Pension Contribution of 8% of salary
- Private Healthcare which includes dental and optical cover
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- On-site parking
- Flexibility & Family Friendly policies
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At PUNCH Flybrid, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work. Our guiding Principal is that the task will determine the location of the work.
PUNCH Flybrid is committed to equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion for all, we will gladly make reasonable adjustments for applicants during our recruitment process to ensure that we attract and retain the best individual for the role.